more like a beauty queen from a movie scene

Tuesday 15 July 2014


 Hello! I've had a very busy (but very lovely) weekend working all day at the wonderful Hirst Antiques on Saturday, before driving down to Hereford on Sunday to catch up with some friends. I didn't realise at the time but it completely wore me out, and resulted in an eleven-hour power sleep which took me through to about midday yesterday. Oh well - I'm all bright-eyed and awake now though, and determined to try and get up to date with this blog again by posting another set of photos from about a month ago.
This is the outfit I wore to Prom, which according to wikipedia is 'a semi-formal dance or gathering of high-school students.' Ours was incredibly last minute as our school (being typically English and entirely uninterested in anything that may cause even mild excitement in students) decided they were not going to have anything to do with the organisation of it, even though we had our exams for the months leading up to the proposed Prom time and so had almost no hope of doing it ourselves. It looked like we were not going to have one at all, but thankfully a group of the awesomest girls on the planet managed to book, plan and haul the entire thing together in about two days time. My friends and I were of course pretty ecstatic at this news as although we were not expecting it to be the party of the year, the idea of dressing up, dancing and just having a cute evening with our year group seemed to us like the best way to end our time at the main school before moving on to sixth form.





The last minute planning of the whole event meant that we only had a day to get our dresses, so my friends and I went on a mission into central London determined to each get the perfect outfit. I knew I wanted a vintage number, and already had my heart set on my favourite Beyond Retro - but after rummaging through their soho store for a good half an hour, I began to doubt whether I'd be able to find one at all. I was just about to make a very sulky exit when I caught a glimpse of pale yellow out of the corner of my eye, and upon investigation discovered the cutest little yellow and lace dress hidden in-between a rail of sweaters. I knew instantly that I had found 'the one,' and rushed off to try it on, where I found it fit me perfectly (though I am sure even if it hadn't I would have bought it anyway). My friends all managed to get what they wanted too, and on the way home I even found a yellow flower garland in Camden Market for £3 that perfectly matched the dress. As you can imagine, I was a very happy bunny - and reassured in the fact that whatever you want, Beyond Retro will have.





The bag and shoes were another last-minute addition, and found on the morning of Prom, after I went on a desperate trip to Brick Lane as I could not find a single pair of white shoes. I finally managed to find a pair that fit me in a shop called Found, Loved on Cheshire Street, and picked the bag up from Rokit. The shoes were slightly patterned which went well with the lace of the dress, and the heel was so tiny that I was able to dance the entire night without any complaints of blisters or numb toes. The bag didn't actually come with me on the evening in the end, but has been used with many other outfits since and has become something of a summer staple. The shawl is something I have had in my room for years, and I'm not entirely sure where it came from.





Makeup wise, I opted for my usual pale, matte complexion (powder is my power tool), softly filled in eyebrows (Benefit Brow Zings in light...once you've used it you'll never go back to pencil, or any other product for that matter), a natural pink and slightly coral lip and liquid eyeliner. I used a silvery glitter eyeshadow and a felt tip liner, with my usual thick black mascara. I like to go for a fairly natural look everywhere except my eyes, which for occasions such as Prom I like to have dark and accentuated. On the whole I tend to avoid blusher as I go red naturally, and as I don't wear much skin makeup (concealer around the T-Zone and then translucent powder everywhere else) this comes through anyway. I kept the jewellery to a minimum as I knew I would be dancing, and so wore my locket and a pair of small gold hoops.





Prom itself was such a cute evening. I got ready with my friend Jazzy listening to the Ziggy Stardust record, then got a lift round to school where we met up with everybody else. The music was mainly old hits that everybody loved, and it was so lovely to be so exam and care free, dancing with the people you've now known for five years and just enjoying the moment and not worrying about the future in any way. It all sounds terribly cliché but it really was a lovely evening, and although I didn't take many pictures (it's hard to photograph whilst doing an exaggerated dance to Michael Jackson) there are a few I found on facebook that I may as well share with you guys.








I hope you all have a lovely week, and I will be back soon with one last last-month post before I can get back posting more recent things! Love


31 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fun time. I wish my prom had been more laid back like this. I might have had more fun that way :)

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou, we really did! I hope you had a good time x

      Delete
  2. You look so beautiful Ellie! I am so in love with your dress and flower crown <3 Glad you had fun!

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dress! Your hair is amazing x

    Lizzie's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is so pretty! Hope you had a great time at prom. :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look positively ethereal, loving the pale yellow! xx

    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look absolutely gorgeous Ellie! I love your dress, hair, makeup, this whole look is perfection! Glad you had a good time <3

    http://lilliputianlilac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks so pretty with that flower crown! Sounds fun~

    http://happydayscalilife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a beautiful outfit on a beautiful person! hope you had a lovely time.

    http://fancydressinvite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like such a fun evening and you looked so pretty! Love your flower crown!

    www.rachelsfashionpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellie you look so beautiful!! I love your dress <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look amazing ellie! I adore your prom dress <3 I had mine a few weeks back now and i just want to do it all over again :( ♥

    Holly │Flower Crowns and Daisy Chains

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look like a dream- I love the colour yellow so im particularly fond of your beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress is so, so, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look GORGEOUS, oh my god, I love your outfit!
    xx Inés
    www.riotsandroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look so sweet. this dress is beautiful, as are the photos!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. you can win a cute Dahlia trench in my little giveaway! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah another beautiful outfit, I went to some vintage shops the other day and everything is so pretty, I just couldn't decide what I wanted! Lovely post!

    http://www.sarahprowse.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute floral crown and what a lovely mellow shade of yellow. As a fellow vintage fashion lover it's great to discover your blog! I will be following your updates from now on :)

    Melissa x

    UK vintage fashion and lifestyle blog, Vintage Tea Roses

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dress is so stunning and looks so pretty with the flower crown! These pictures are making me miss my prom, I wore a flower crown as well :)
    myindieheartout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. you look lovely here ellie, seriosuly gorgeous stuff

    secret-hipster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it, you look so beautiful and magical like a fairy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our London Beauty Salon is your ultimate retreat which is Located in the city Harley St, London. Beauty Express is an extremely personalized and professional beauty and blow dry salon. It offers a truly unique experience for every client.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡