maybe I've been hanging around for too long

Saturday 5 December 2015


I'm having another one of my phases where I am inspired by pretty much everything and anything, and then end up finding it hard to actually decide on what to wear / make / write about as there are just SO MANY ideas and it all gets a little overwhelming. I often find myself forgetting what my 'style' is, and looking at my wardrobe desperately wondering what I would usually put with what, what is 'me' and what isn't...I do the same in art too, staring for hours at my sketchbook blankly wondering what on earth my style is because I know I must have one, but I'm not quite sure what it is or where to find it. I am therefore insanely excited to take my art foundation next year, as I feel that will really be the time for me to identify and cement not only my artistic style, but also my fashion sense, music taste etc. I wonder if I'll change that much. 
In other news, it's been a relatively busy week - I have a huge amount of deadlines looming over me on the lead up to Christmas, the completion of my zine Bloom being one of them, but I'm not feeling too bad about it as I've only got these last few months to get through and them I'm free!!! No more deadlines...well, for the summer at least.





This outfit is the first in a little series I'm doing with Rokit, who kindly lent me some pieces to style as a sort of autumn/winter feature. I fell in love with this shirt the second I walked into the store, and so couldn't help putting together a little double-velvet ensemble for my first outfit. The shirt itself is actually sheer, with these amazing swirls of pink and purple velvet, and the odd dash of glitter just because. To me the fabric is everything I love about Christmas - mulled wine, hot pomegranate or echinacea tea, tinsel and sparkles. In short, I want to live in this shirt. I wore it with black velvet trousers, an oversized white denim jacket, and Monki shoes.





I wore my Askew earrings and necklace from Hirst Antiques that my parents had bought me for my  birthday, a wonderfully eclectic set that were tucked away on one of our densely packed shelves but stole my heart the moment I saw them. I used to wear them around the shop on a Saturday, and so it is of course a bit of a dream come true to actually own and be able to wear them whenever I feel like it. Askew London is actually one of my favourite jewellery designers, as she uses vintage and antique components to create new pieces of jewellery, breathing new life into her materials and generating the most amazing collection of intricate, unique pieces.
I love working in the shop at Christmas time...I love it during the entire year, but there is something so homely and comforting about our little Aladdin's cave during the winter months. The lighting is all yellow-y and dreamy, my colleague Stephanie makes the most amazing hot lemon and honey, it's usually always busy, and of course we get the opportunity to bring out our extensive collection of Christmas tree brooches. What more could you want?!





I'm trying to keep to my word about posting on here more often, and so today felt like the perfect time to start at the beginning a sort of series with Rokit, who kindly lent me some pieces to style as part of an autumn/winter feature. I chose some pieces whilst at their Christmas party in their Covent Garden Store, which my two awesome pals (who are working on Bloom with me) agreed to come to as well. It was a lovely evening, I got to finally meet the lovely Ellie who I have been email friends with for probably almost a year, have a go at making Christmas jumpers, drink mulled wine and have a snoop around the store. I took a few photos, as the decorations and mannequins were just so lovely.











^(As you can see I'm still a proud promotor of the shoe selfie, because yes I am actually 13 years old at heart and still making stars with my friends out of our fingers)

Along with choosing some lovely pieces to shoot for this blog, we also pulled some things to shoot for Bloom, which I have mentioned a few times in this post as it's really happening! I am really finally making a printed zine and it has loads of lovely submissions from really talented photographers, writers and artists, and hopefully it will look as good as I am trying to make it look! I can't wait to share more of it with you but for now you can follow the Instagram, Tumblr, or the very unfinished website

Last but not least, I can't help but share my recent obsession with taking style/photography/life inspiration from music videos. My most recent has been BTS's "Run", which has pretty much destroyed everyone who has watched it because it is just SO GOOD. Everything from the scene set up to the camera angles to the outfits is perfect, and basically fulfils all my aesthetic needs. Here are my favourite screen shots from the music video which you can watch here.


I will be back shortly with more posts with Rokit ~ hope you have a good week!

18 comments:

  1. What kinds of stuff can be submitted to your zine? I do a lot of writing and drawings of musicians...
    @subversesmusic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything really! I will find a way to feature it on the tumblr or website, the magazine is intended to be non-gender specific, art, culture, london, city life, growing up, changes etc ! Thank you x

      Delete
  2. Can we swap? At the moment I feel like I'm stuck in a rut, changing through styles, but like there is an essence of "me" in every outfit. The only problem is I feel bored and uninspired!!

    secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no! Your outfits are always so interesting and unique, its hard to believe that you feel uninspired! I love your work & hope you feel more inspired again soon! <3 :) xx

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness I adore your jewellery...and your jacket...your whole outfit basically! such a stunning post <3 x

    www.monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this outfit! Your necklace is so cool!!
    xx Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. man your job sounds like an actual dream. also, i love the velvet trousers where are they from? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! They are vintage - but I'm sure you can find some in most high street vintage shops or on something like Etsy or Depop - they're just thin velvet in a sort of levi 501 shape! <3 <3

      Delete
  6. That shirt looks stunning on you, and so perfect for this time of year. I know I keep on saying it, but I can't wait for Bloom, it sounds incredible! I want to visit Rokit so badly, but I'm never ever in London! I think I might finally get myself there next year when I have Uni Interviews, so I hope I can squeeze a shopping trip in then.
    Have a lovely week next week,
    Bethany x

    bethanygraceo.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much!! It means the world when people are excited for it - really makes me want to make it the best I can! <3 Ah yes definitely you should try to - it's a really cool store! <3

      Delete
  7. yES i LOVE BTS so MUCH and their videos are just so amazing like so much goes into it aah glad you love it too!!!!!! and that sun necklace - i neeeeeeed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg YES so amazing right?!? and thank you!!!! xx

      Delete
  8. BTS yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I love them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice earrings :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡