and here under the spell of evening, I long to hold you tight

Saturday 11 January 2014


































Happy Saturday! My first week back at school is done - and somehow I seem to be back neck deep in coursework again (although it does serve me right for all the hours I spent avoiding getting it done before Christmas). I took today to finish my geography work for monday, and take a trip down to central London to buy some bits and bobs for my textiles final piece, which I am beginning later this week. I decided to make a dress with a corset in April last year, but only now have I realised that might not have been the best decision, especially as I am using velvet which leaves basically no room for mistakes whatsoever. I like making things, and am looking forward to just giving it a go...hopefully it won't completely crash and burn and even if it does I'm sure I will show you guys just for us to laugh at.



I ended up discovering the shop of my dreams - 'MacCulloch & Wallis', whilst on a mission to get some corset boning. It is down a side-street just off of Oxford Street, directly opposite House of Fraser. It felt like the Selfridges of textile equipment, with it's gloriously old front and whimsical miscellany of modern and traditional fabrics, embellishments, trimmings and more. Over two floors of beautiful historical architecture are filled with an organised jumble of treasures, perfect for the basic DIY job or the theatrical graduate piece. Prices are incredibly reasonable too, making this probably one of my most favourite shop discoveries of late. Definitely going to be spending an awful lot of time here in the future.







I wore my fur coat from Oxford, high-waisted checkered jeans from Topshop, polo neck from Uniqlo, and shoes from Rokit. My earrings are from Hannah Makes Things and my necklace belonged to my mum. Tartan, checkered and hounds/dog tooth prints have been slowly seeping back into fashion over the last few years, but the recent increase in their appearances at LCM and LFW suggest that maybe this time they are going to be sticking around. I don't know about you, but my wardrobe at the moment consists of a good three or more checkered skirts...it's beginning to become a bit of an obsession if I'm honest.










Afterwards I ended up having a walk around Berwick street, and nipping in to Beyond Retro as I literally cannot pass by without having a snoop around, especially in their Soho store; it's almost underground and feels a little like a secret club.

























































In other news...I seem to have acquired the most gorgeous little hamster, who I have decided to name Elvis for some reason or another. We have always had pets in our family but after my dog Milly passed away a year ago I couldn't face trying to fill her place with another furry friend. Recently, however, the house has been feeling so empty that I couldn't help but pay the local pet shop a visit and buy the little bundle of joy that is currently running about in his wheel and making a hell of a lot of noise. Got to love his mischievous little face though. I also thoroughly enjoyed a bit of cinnamon, nutella and banana cake with tea whilst he settled in...can you possibly get a better combination of flavours?! I'm in animal and cake heaven.
On that note, I hope you have a good weekend!

ellie xo

34 comments:

  1. Your photos of London make me miss it so much! You are looking babely as ever, and congrats on your new little pal. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so lovely in that first picture, so jealous of you living in London, I recently visited Highgate and love the atmosphere of the suburbia side of London! The fabric store sounds very cool, I love finding places like that, tucked away!

    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! yes Highgate is so lovely...I love the country feel of north London <3
      and same, I feel like I've achieved something when I find somewhere new! x

      Delete
  3. I used to have a hamster that looked just like yours. Very cute!

    http://rockpapermisc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to your frequent posts, I love London as well(though I don't live there) so it's nice to sort of 'see' so much of it through your posts! ha! Just one thing, please make sure your hamsters 'wheel' is big enough so he doesn't arch his back in the slightest - pet shops are terrible at giving correct information and advice, they seem to care more about money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! and wow that is actually so helpful, I hadn't thought to check properly! (I'm a bit rusty when it comes to these things!) I've just checked and thankfully it seems to be the right size...thankyou so much for warning me! x

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for finding that shop - I've been looking for a good textile shop for ages, and they all seem to be disappearing! Also, I know what you mean about beyond retro, I thought it was a club when I first came across it..
    Xxx
    http://rollerskag.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe you're welcome! there is loads of really good ones down Berwick street too! xx

      Delete
  6. Looking all your pictures made me even regretting myself for not going to those magical places when I was in London. I love your trousers btw! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw elvis is so cute!
    x Yazmine
    www.whateveryazmine.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. love both outfits! cute hamster!

    http://myview-tasha.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. These clothes you wear look so perfectly fab and stylish, I try to make a start myself and somehow wear the similar ones I own on your way but it doesn't seem to work *sigh*. Guess I just wanted to tell you that I really really like your clothes! And congrats on your new hamster, they're such sweet creatures. Give him some flies, hamsters tend to eat them like chips, much to my disgust...
    xoxo
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elvis is so sweeeet! awh and also your jeans are the best thing ever! xxo

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your pants and that fabric shop is just so cool! Definitely going there the next time I'm visiting London.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAAH this outfit is so on point! Love love love your style so much Ellie!

    nervesofzeal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just tell me this: I love all the titles of your posts. How can you do that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! they are all song lyrics! this one is from elvis presley's 'almost in love'

      Delete
  14. loove the topshop jeans- and best of luck with your new hamster!

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to London before and until now, I really hadn't been bothered about it. This shop sounds like paradise! (and so opportune right now, since I've decided to be artsier)
    School's gonna start for me soon too and in all honesty, I could do with a bit of animal and cake heaven x

    http://wastelandsofwisdom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! U have a nice blog!
    Following u hun<3

    www.bstylevoyage.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You missy are adorable! Love your fur coat outfit xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡