Take a dream on a Sunday, take a life, take a holiday

Saturday 3 May 2014



I think I've finally accepted that it's Spring. It's taken me a while, but I can no longer ignore the blue sky and cool breeze that greets me most mornings.The days are finally getting comfortably long - that panic of trying to get everything done before darkness creeps over is now just a long forgotten memory, melted away with the sun as quickly as the snow that decided not to fall this year.
I miss those dream-like years with the eternal summers; the long days spent trailing back and forth from the park to a friend's house and back outside again, the shrieking water fights, the lazing in the sun as the grass leaves sticky residue on your soft summer skin. Those years seem like forever ago; the time to just 'be' seems to have shortened with age, and I am finding myself with an increasingly small number of hours spare to see friends, explore new places, or just enjoy the bliss of doing nothing.
The imminent summer is set to be 'the best summer of my life', however it doesn't seem so far away any more, and the glistening glorification of those few golden weeks is starting to pucker and peel like weathering paint; over-exposure to my scrutiny beginning to wear away at it's dream-like quality and make me see it in a much more dampened light. I just can't see how one summer will change everything; the freedom, of course, will be much appreciated and enjoyed, but how will it differ from all the summers that have gone before? I can't help but doubt my ability to take this time and be the rebellious teenager my age expects me to be - I'm much more likely to spend the time enjoying some form of reality TV show aimed at the middle-aged housewife or elderly widow (cough Antiques Roadshow cough). I really want to make it a special, monumental time in my life, but I am just naturally cautious of getting too excited about something that maybe is only so great in chick-flick movies.

























This outfit is from last Sunday, when I visited my family to celebrate my cousin's birthday. My inner craving to wear full pastels came out in full swing, so I wore my dress from Absolute Vintage (it was only £12!) tights and shoes from Topshop, belt from Beyond Retro , and cardigan that belonged to my mum. It was hand-knitted for her by my nan, and so I like the fact that I can wear it - it would be a shame to waste such a cute little piece that must have taken ages to put together. The fish pin (worn to hold the neck together) also belonged to my mum. I also felt the need to bring my favourite pink granny glasses back out again - no matter how many pairs I buy, there's something so great about these ones...they also look a lot like the pair worn by a member of Supertramp (I discovered this whilst watching Top of the Pops from 1979).



























In other news, I survived my art exam! It took a lot of needles, a lot of thread and scrap material, but all fifteen fabric moths were completed in about nine hours, and presented in their display frame just the way I had planned. It was stressful, but definitely worth it. The exhibition is in a week or two, and so I'm sure I will be able to properly photograph my work to show you then.






Anyway, I hope you are all having a good bank holiday weekend...mine began on Thursday evening, when for some reason my two best friends and I decided to watch the most chair-gripping (or nachos gripping, in my situation) film 'The Call'. It's rare that a horror movie is clever, but this one definitely was well thought out, and although the fantastic casting, acting and underlying themes were slightly brought down by a quite unrealistic yet typical horror movie ending, it left me severely shaken, so I think it served it's purpose. Basically, don't watch it unless you have something to hide behind when the tension becomes unbearable.
Hugs

Ellie xo

19 comments:

  1. love!
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit! And I totally agree about summer - I think people get it wrong, it is obviously made for watching old folk's TV and going to car boot sales! :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was beautiful what you wrote about summer. I have very high expectations for my summer vacations, one of the best being Summer of 2012. Though I mainly watched old TV shows, laced lanyards, and fooled around, all to the tune of our air conditioning, it was probably the time of my life. The summer after I foolishly tried to recreate the pleasant memories of the previous year--to no avail, unfortunately. But yes, you are right, our expectations and what we want for a certain special moment often get in the way of the much-less-exciting reality. Congratulations on surviving your art exam--and I can't wait to see what you've created. And, I love that dress.
    xx Tessie at Socks with Sandals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! I know what you mean. I always try to recreate special times or moments, and they're never as good as they were the first time round x

      Delete
  4. I have high expectations for my summer too. Love you're tights and dress, you look so cool! I just wrote a post about paramore on my blog (and I remembered you like them) if you want to give it a read xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! and hehe I will check it out x

      Delete
  5. the granny vibes are strong <3

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit<3 I so feel that pressure about this summer - I have a few nice things planned, but they only take up about a week of my time so I don't know what else I'll be doing that'll make it so amazing... xx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so cute !!
    I Love the dress the cardigan ... And the glasses. Its perfect With your hair!
    So pretty Granny of course hehe
    Xxx
    Lorna

    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your outfit and your paragraph about spring is so gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a cute outfit <3

    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello dear,
    This is such a cute outfit!
    Would you like to follow each other on facebook?:) Let me know!
    Have a lovely day,
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡