rose trees never grow in new york city

Thursday 12 June 2014



It is officially my last day at school tomorrow, finally. I have one more exam in the morning, then a whole TEN WEEKS (or thereabouts) off before I start Sixth Form in September. I feel like this summer could be the kind of momentous summer every coming-of-age teen has in books or cheesy 80s movies, as long as I get my head together and do as much as humanly possible with the sudden freedom I'll have. Then again, the idea of spending at least one day in bed just watching films is kind of tempting. I'm sure just one day won't affect me that much, right?
I've even gone to the extremes of buying a whole new journal just to document my daily goings on over the next few months. It is partially to encourage me to draw more (I need some serious art practice) but also because I'm kind of convinced that I'm not going to be this free again - I will have no school, no job, no taxes to pay, no places to be - no constraints whatsoever to stop me from doing literally whatever I want. That sounds pretty reckless and adventurous but in reality I'll probably spend a hell of a lot of time reading old books on my roof. Why not?





I haven't worn red in ages - after buying my yellow coat back in winter, my wardrobe has been mostly oranges, browns and yellows. I do think it is one of the best colours to wear though, and so couldn't resist this skirt from the Motel sale. I love how puffy it is - it looks almost as if it's got netting underneath it, even though it's only made from one layer of fabric. Obviously the floral pattern was perfect for me, as it allowed me to pattern clash to my heart's content.
I wore it with a shirt from Beyond Retro, gold sweater-vest from a carboot, belt from Blitz, socks from Topshop and shoes from Clothes Show.






I bought the belt on a whim two winters ago (when I had just recently started this blog!) but didn't really know what to wear it with. Nowadays I pretty much where it with anything, as I just love the way it clashes. I also loved the whole red-on-red aesthetic, it reminded me a little of my LFW outfit. The locket belonged to my cousin and now has a mini picture of David Bowie inside it (judge me).





I love the silhouette a puffy skirt gives you - it makes your outfit feel special and prom-like, even if you have only put it together quickly. They are also ideal to pair with a belt that really accentuates the high-waist, and brings to mind the shapes of old Miu Miu (S/S 2002) with full gypsy skirts and thick leather belts.



On a slightly separate topic - my school have cancelled our Prom! They told us we had to organise it, but now it turns out we just aren't going to have one at all. I think it's a little unfair, as all of the other years had theirs - but the prospect of summer is just looking too good for me to really worry about it too much.
Hope you have a good weekend!


34 comments:

  1. Ah I can't wait for Summer too! I refuse to die without one 80s teen movie coming of age Summer. I love wearing puffy skirts like that! You look fab xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the States, most schools have started summer. I know mine's crazy busy working and improving my dance for the shows in the fall (theatre major here!). I hope you have fun with all of your free time. That's too bad about prom though. At least you're not too bummed. I have to say I love this mix of textures and prints you have going on. It's the right amount of crazy for me. Good crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your dancing goes well! & thankyou <3

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite posts of yours yet! So colorful! And I was really impressed with the Miu Miu reference :)
    http://criticallycouture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, I have been reading your blog for so long already, but still have never commented any post for some unknown reason. Now it's time too - you're such an inspirational young lady! Love your outfits, your style and your personality, Keep the same spirit!
    (sorry if I have mistakes, English is my third language. Oh, and yes, greetings from Ukraine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so so much, and your English is fantastic! xx

      Delete
  5. The infinite possibilities of the last summer before university are stretching out before me too! I hope you have a really good one, it's definitely a special one as you have to come back to school before september in year 12 :( I'm going interrailing and to a festival woo!
    Love this outfit, the prints are so nice.
    That's so so sad about your prom though, you'll have to have your own 'prom' with your friends to make up for it, but it won't be the same without your entire year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! and yeah, looking forward to the freedom (and the festivals!)x

      Delete
  6. Cannot wait for Summer, I´ve only had two exams so am dreading what Year 11 holds, the whole summer stretched out infront of you sounds like such an amazing prospect especially as it probably is your last chance of freedom! Hope you make it awesome. Love the skirt,it definitely reminds of the kind of 50s prom silhouette! Cannot believe they cancelled prom, hope you didn´t spend too much on a dress!
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luckily I hadn't bought/borrowed one! and don't worry, you'll be fine - they go by so fast! xx

      Delete
  7. this is a wonderful look :)
    i love the colour red and i think that it fits so many other colours even though you would not think of it as easily combinable. the silhouette is just the best, i agree, i find it so summery.

    Lost in my mind

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy summer! hehe, I don't know if you can say that, but I do wish you a happy 10 week break!
    Also, this is an amazing set of clothes. I love how you put everything together. It's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite outfits of yours, it's so classy and pretty and I really want that skirt :)
    It's so sad they cancelled your prom, I didn't go to mine because I got sick that day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this summery outfit. The skirt is so cute x

    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That skirt and belt combo is mega! You are THE master pattern clasher. And I feel the exact same way about summer - will it be endless and amazing and coming-of-age-movie-ish? Will it be frittered away reading in bed? Who knows...
    xx
    www.hellopookie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favourite outfit of yours so far, I love it more than I can say. Cancelling prom is a suckish thing to happen, but you're right, summer is way too soon and awesome to worry about anything right now (well other than finishing exams).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another amazing outfit, I just wish I had your style! It's so beautiful! Love the red of the skirt!

    http://www.sarahprowse.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome!
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I can't believe your school cancelled your prom... That's a shame. But you're right to not worry about it too much, it sounds like your summer will be great. Anyway, love the outfit!

    Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your red skirt, it is such a lovely pattern. It would be cool if this summer was the coming-of-age summer and now I'm thinking about all those cheesy teen novels and films too x

    splasheswithfabulosity.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful outfit! I really adore your style!
    Hopeless✈Wanderer

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is probably one of my favourite outfits from you, ever! I really admire the way you mixed the patterns and textures, ugh so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, found your blog and it's awesome! Something is really amazing about you. Maybe the way you dress, I guess. Love your style.

    Ps: I want to keep in touch with you. Let me know.

    Laura Macij
    http://www.lauramacij.com/2014/06/layered-in-linen.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I absolutely love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡