one day I'm gonna write a poem in a letter

Tuesday 19 August 2014


It feels like absolutely ages since I last sat down and wrote a post for this page - it's only been about two weeks, but for some reason the lack of twice-a-week blogging has really affected me. It's been a real break being able to walk around pretty streets without feeling that it is compulsory to take outfit pictures; to get dressed without trying to wear something I haven't worn before or recently; and of course to take pictures for myself and myself only, and not just to post straight on the internet. Ironically, those pictures are exactly what I am now posting straight on to the internet - I took my Zenit film camera to France with me, and thoroughly enjoyed trying to improve my photography a little (and trying to make sure I didn't use the film up too quickly!) It used to belong to my Dad, and is surprisingly good still...or at least, it is when you focus it correctly (something that still takes me a few tries each time to perfect). I thought I may as well post them here as I quite like how most of them turned out.



We have started staying each year in a really beautiful, green area of the Dordogne region in France, which not only has lots of pretty towns and beautiful scenery, but also a fair few antique and bric-a-brac markets and shops. The markets are actually quite well-priced, and I accidentally ended up buying a shelf, two paintings of wild birds and the rose cloth in the photo above. Markets really are lethal. I also blame recently buying Apartamento magazine, which is full of amazing interior inspiration and has made me just as interested in furniture and objects as I am in clothes. 
I also love French markets just for the atmosphere - full of busy locals buying their groceries, speaking with the most wonderful and ear-pleasing accent; the smell of cakes, warm breads, olives and flowers filling your senses; stall holders offering you pieces of sweetbreads, tarts or pastries to taste. One of my favourite days was definitely market day, as I wore the red-themed outfit above (Topshop flower crown, socks and shoes, Beyond Retro skirt, charity shop top). There was a baker at the market who sells amazing cookies, breads and pastries and always wears a straw hat with big sunflowers attached to it, and we sort of silently acknowledged each other's flower adornments and he showed his approval by giving me half a chocolate croissant for free with a wink. It felt like we were in some kind of secret pro-flower-wearing society. I loved it.


Another holiday outfit...charity shop top, Beyond Retro shorts, gold jelly shoes from Author in Spitalfield's. I sort of gave up with my hair and started wearing it in a half-up topknot to hide my awful messy gingerness. I quite liked the way it made my hair feel bigger and fuller, compared to it's usual light, flat feel...I am definitely considering it for Reading Festival (two days oh my god).



The house we stay in is really close to Aubeterre, which is a really lovely village-y town with many of it's shops and houses built right into a cliff (so they are all basically caves). The above outfit is the same Beyond Retro shorts, same Author shoes and a top from a charity shop (it's Topshop and was £3 and I was so so so happy to find it).


I was unexplainably happy when I saw this picture had come out - I passed the brave little cat in Bergerac and couldn't help trying to capture how carefree and sleepy it was despite it's precarious position. It was just asking to be photographed really, and even closed it's eyes for the shot.


It was definitely nice to be away from everything for a while, but now I'm home I kind of can't wait to get back into everything again. I want to make more of my Etsy site too, and am going to do a discount code next week which should be good. I do miss the pool though - being able to swim all day is something I would adore to be able to do at home.


Also, I'm sure most of you know already that I was in Company Magazine's September issue! We shot the outfits a while ago and I had the most amazing day with the team, and was amazed to actually be given a double page! I am devastated they won't be in print after October, but so pleased to have been able to build up a collection of issues over the years to keep and refer back to when I miss it too much. 
I hope you all have a great week!

32 comments:

  1. I love all the photos from your trip! they look so dreamy, and your red flower crown is so cute <3

    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these photos, I think they turned out beautifully! Especially like the one with your hair in a little top knot. And congrats on the magazine, that's amazing!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was beautiful! I love your red flower crown outfit ^0^Well done on being featured in company magazine, that's an amazing achievement! - F - www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  4. you are the cutest thing, in love with all of these outfits - you have the best shirts, super jealous! your trip photos are fab too, they look so magical! and I spotted you in Company and got super excited haha, well done hun xo britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these photos are so beautiful, especially the blurred backgrounds. Ths part of France looks straight out of a film ( if you want to fall in love with France again watch ' a good year' it's not arty or particularly amazingly directed but depicts France so beautifully and Russell Crowe is brilliant, it's a bit of a rom com really). I love your hair like that by the way, so jealous you're going to reading!
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this post and all the pictures, especially the first one, you look gorgeous!
    Xx Inés
    www.riotsandroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red gingham outfit with the red flowers in the background- so cute. I also love the French countryside and the markets. The crepes are the best in the world!

    Faye x
    www.iwishicouldwink.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such gorgeous photos Ellie! I love the red flowers and you looks so pretty!

    www.rachelsfashionpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous photos! Film cameras are just to die for! Ahh I saw your feature in Company and absolutely loved it! xox

    afashionation.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh these photos are just incredible! it really did look like you had a fabulous time! have fun at reading
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. these photos are amazing ellie you look gorgeous! I love the way you edited them, it looks really dreamy

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently saw your blog in Company magazine and I love it! Your posts are lovely and your pictures are gorgeous.

    http://wowbelwow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you had a good time. All these photos have a lovely, vintage quality to them. I know what you mean about wanting to get back to everything. I move back into my dorm tomorrow and I can't wait to finally start the year!

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning photos. Your trip looks incredible! You really suit a little top not x

    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pictures look so ethereal, and I adore your outfits. Congrats on your feature!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blogposts and outfits are literally the best. Stunning pictures, especially the one with the cat, aw! And congrats on your feature, you totally deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. such wonderful dreamy photos! you look so beautiful in the first two! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. The writings and the lovely pictures make me want to visit france!
    I like the picture of the brave cat, it´s really cute!
    Got happy when I discovered your new post <3

    http://teenapes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. The photos in front of the red flowers, they are absolutely gorgeous. And congratulations on being in Company!! H xx

    www.hopesgone.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. your photos are so beautiful
    tanya / whoistanya

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely photos, and I really like your style
    Fool's Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  22. The photos are beautiful, love the colours.
    And congrats on being featured in Company Magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations!! :)

    life15juicy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. all your photo's look so beautiful and the magazine feature is so so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Today I bought Company magazine and came across you,now just home I decided to look up your blog and can I just say it's beautiful and reminds me so much of Style Rookie.I also have that yellow topshop shirt but the buttons always all off mine! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your website is very useful. I admire the valuable advice you make available in your expertly written content.
    teen love

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡