a witch of trouble in electric blue

Wednesday 12 November 2014






















I started writing this post a few weeks ago but didn't have the chance to finish it properly. I got home from school at about 12 today (all of my lessons were cancelled except double art, best day ever) so I thought I would use the time to post this from my birthday/recently. Here's what I wrote before:

So yesterday was my 17th birthday. Weird to think just how different I felt last year, listening to Neil Sedaka's 'Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen' and blowing out the candles on the makeshift tomato vine cake my friends made for me. This year was none the less memorable; halloween was spent in full Wayne's World costume with my friends, dancing to Abba, eating cookies and homemade cupcakes, then celebrating when the clock struck midnight. I then was woken up the next morning with pancakes in bed, before going out to see the Tracey Emin exhibition at the White Cube in Bermondsey. I like actually going out and doing something on my birthday, otherwise it just feels like an ordinary day, and seeing one of my favourite artist's work seemed like a good idea.





I wore a jumper and skirt from American Apparel, that were presents from my parents. They perfectly encapsulate that 60s, casual, autumnal look that I love in the movie Ginger and Rosa, and are probably going to be my staple outfit for the foreseeable future. I also wore my new shoes (a birthday present to myself...I like to try and justify buying things I 'need' but don't really need) from Asos and my old Rokit bag.





The Tracey Emin exhibition was no less incredible than I had imagined, with huge white rooms showcasing her amazing embroideries, paintings and bronze work. It felt like a very personal show, with Emin seemingly exploring her own identity and sense of self through countless self-portraits and  deep thoughts on neon signs, letting you in on and exposing her most intimate thoughts and inner vulnerability and allowing you to follow her journey of almost self-discovery. It was fairly small, however I still managed to spend ages revisiting each piece, and then having a wander through the surrounding shops (I need to go there more often, the cafés look amazing).











Sketchbook pages // Ginger and Rosa screenshots // Zeum magazine

Anyway, as of more recent happenings I have had a weird week or so back at college, as the countless strikes/cancelled lessons/focus days that have been going on have meant I've been getting home at about lunch time each day and therefore able to spend the remainder of the day in my pyjamas, eating cereal straight from the box, watching American Horror Story (my addiction has returned-I watched series 2 about a year or so ago but now have caught up and ah so so good) and doing art. Art is one of those A levels which literally takes all of your time, but doesn't feel like work as it's so relaxing to do.
Also, I finally got my hands on Zeum magazine! It is so beautiful as always, and features so many of my favourite people and designers...and has a lil' page on me! It was amazing shooting on Abbey Road with Katie Silvester (whose photography is so perfect) and getting to hang out with ultimate babes Rachel and Isobel who are also featured.



Last but definitely not least I was sent a pair of glasses from London Retro for Glasses Direct. I loved the colour as they looked much less harsh next to my skin than black or navy frames do, and the shape was actually perfect. They also came really quickly, and so if you need a pair of glasses you now know where to go!
Hope you have a lovely week,


38 comments:

  1. Hope you had a great birthday, loving the American Apparel skirt!

    Anika Miller // UK Fashion & Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. your outfit is so cute xx

    http://cristynottingham.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely outfit! x

    thewatercolourjar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Hope you had a lovely birthday. The outfit is gorgeous. ♡

    www.skinandroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a good birthday! I really like your outfit too :)
    - F - www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new glasses look so fab, can't wait to see them make in appearance in new outfit posts!

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday. Your outfit is the cutest and all the artwork you've photographed is amazing. I've not seen Ginger & Rosa yet but have heard so many good things about that film. xx

    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! This post has so many lovely things in it. Adore your plaid skirt and seeing a bit of Tracy Emin anywhere is always nice. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I had no idea about this exhibition and I've wanted to see a Tracey Emin exhibition forever! I'll have to pop along on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! You look too pretty :) And I've always associated Ginger & Rose with you. Maybe it's Ginger hair. Anyway, I loved that film! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outfit was fab and absolutely love Ginger and rosa! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your skirt! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you had a fantastic birthday and i love your outfit!
    helloellenor
    ellenor x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday. You encapsulate the english rose ellie, your skin and hair and clothes are all so lovely! Hope you had a wonderful birthday, so jealous you saw the tracey emin exhibition!
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! I really appreciate it :) xx

      Delete
  15. you look adorable, those glasses are really nice on your skin :) I really liked that exhibition, I miss visiting art galleries or even museums :\

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the glasses and plaid~
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaah this post is so aesthetically cohesive- I love it! Your sketchbook looks awesome and the photo of you in the gallery in beautiful. I'm glad you had a good birthday <3

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of your posts are so beautiful! The photography is so amazing<3

    monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love stumbling upon rose and vintage :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ellie, I am in love love love with your blog. I love your "grandma-on-drugs" aesthetic. It is so you. I always look forward to reading your posts, my dear. Happy *extremely belated* seventeenth.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡