a tree that grows hearts

Tuesday 6 January 2015


Exams have started again! I guess I can't really complain as I only have three, compared to the nine or so I had last year. It's still a drain though, but my hardest is now over so I'm planning on taking the evening off to de-stress a little before spending tomorrow desperately trying to teach myself an entire term's worth of psychology. Despite A Levels definitely being harder than GCSE, I have had so much more free time recently, meaning I have caught up on loads of films I had previously not seen, like The Life Aquatic, Harold and Maude, High Fidelity, We Are The Best!, Blue Velvet and Ghost World, pretty much all of which I really liked.
Anyway, this post is a little disjointed as the photos are from my family's traditional pre-christmas Selfridges trip, on which I bought porridge. Just porridge. From Selfridges. Right. (It was seriously good porridge - like cinnamon and spice porridge if that justifies it a little more). I was having a spontaneously colourful day - recently I've become much more toned-down with my outfits, generally opting for autumnal colours and less layers simply because doing art at school / trudging out to buy lunch / coming home to fall asleep on the floor (that actually happened) just isn't practical whilst wearing a gazillion layers and all of my latest bizarre charity shop finds at once. Looking at it now this outfit was a little revert back into my older style, which was quite nice and comfortable (weirdly I am still more comfortable in colours and patterns than I am in jeans and a t-shirt).






(Jacket: Rokit / Top: Blitz / Shirt: Blitz / Parrot Brooch: Dear Rose With Love / Skirt: Camden Market / Shoes: Asos / Earrings: Bill Skinner (from Hirst Antiques) )
The outfit is also a slight variation on what I wore to meet Sinead all those many years ago. It feels like such a long time ago now; even though it's only been like two years (that is ages actually) I feel like a completely different person. I pretty much look the same though, unfortunately my plan to suddenly blossom into a mature 17 year old didn't come into fruition and I still remain a somewhat pocket-sized elf with the face of a 12 year old. Here are a few lil' pics from Sinead for comparison:





I must admit I miss the flower crown. That was probably my favourite part of Reading festival: being able to wear flowers and glitter all day, every day as if that was totally normal. I would love to live like that. Then again, we were having the discussion at work the other day of when it was the 'right time' to wear a tiara, and I found out that apparently Vivienne Westwood wears hers every day on her bike, claiming that all the time is the right time to wear one. If that is true, it seriously proves why she is my complete life icon and also proves that it is ok to wear flower crowns all the time because if Vivienne says it's fine, it's fine.





Other than film-watching, attempting to revise and managing to accumulate the biggest pile of papers and mess all over my desk, I have also been trying to do more art / journalling as it's one of my resolutions to try and get more done (especially as I have joined Georgie's new art collective!!) I also bought a new journal for the start of 2015, so here are a few photos of last year's before I put it away for a while (I like not looking at them for months and being really surprised remembering the things I did/recorded in them).







I hope you are all having a good week, and if you are back at school / doing mocks I feel your pain! I personally have found eating lots of kiwis and dancing expressively around my room to Bjork has really helped. Anyway, I will be back with a more interesting / better written post I promise. Much love.

43 comments:

  1. I have AS mocks this week and next too. They're awful but I agree, dancing around your bedroom does kind of help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw I hope they go well and I know right, it's great!! xx

      Delete
  2. your outfit is so nice, as always. I love your skirt so much, I've really been getting into midi skirts lately and yours is so pretty, the pattern and colours are super pretty! Your journal is really neat too! x

    http://vogueescapade.blogspot.ie/


    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this outfit! your layering is on point. i so feel you about mocks...mine are at the moment and are very bleuurrgh but online sale shopping and nirvana are helping me cope. good luck for the rest of your exams xx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! I hope yours go well...and yes sales and online shopping is helping me through!! (so lethal though...I'm scared of getting my bank statement omg) x

      Delete
  4. I love your outfit! I was wondering what type of camera you use to take these pictures?

    polkadotnoir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! these are all taken using a samsung nx1000 :)

      Delete
  5. Love all the little details in your outfits, like that collar/sweater/necklace combo and the petite parrot. :) Right on! Also a big fan of that three eyed cat graffiti you're in front of, it's one of my fav pieces around jolly old Brick Lane. Wishing you health and happiness in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou very much! and yes there is some amazing street art around that are hehe! xx

      Delete
  6. Im so unprepared for my mocks, I just have no motivation at the minute! You look lovely in all your outfits in this post, your eyeliner is so on point!
    Bethany x

    curiousclaptrap.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so so much! and same, I'm just so tired and not in the mood for them! Oh well, they'll be over soon! xx

      Delete
  7. You always look so insane! I love all these pictures & the outfit. The photobooth photos are awesome too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your exams! I loved your outfit, especially the detailing on your collar, very beautiful.

    http://denimdaydream.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I love your photos. Where is the 3-eyed cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's in brick lane, on cheshire street i think? east london! xx

      Delete
  10. your outfit is amazing! I always love your posts-they are so original <3 xx

    www.monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your exam and your outfit is so beautiful! The collar is amazing. xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and Sinead are adorable!! I love your outfit too. P.s dancing around to Bjork is one of my fave pastimes.

    http://daisychainsforever.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh love the pictures of you with the flower crown so much! You look amazing. Good luck with your exams, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the pics of your outfit and your hair out but especially love your journal and the different bits and pieces you've included in it- hope to see more of it after your exams are done (good luck btw!)

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you and yeah I'd like to share more of my new one! <3 <3

      Delete
  15. You look awesome- and my appreciation of Vivvy has increased :)
    Good luck with your exams

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your style- very vintage but I love how your blog reflects this. Good luck with your mocks- I feel your pain too as I also have mocks. Talk about stressful... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your outfit!! And your sketchbook!! I love your sense of style and beauty, I am so happy I found your blog xx Have a lovely year and good luck with your exams xx

    nurinek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with your exams! My mocks start later this month so revision is draining all my time and energy at the moment ew. That porridge sounds amazing and I think leaving Selfridges with just porridge is entirely justified given how wonderful porridge is. Your journals are fabulous xx

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! and ah I hope yours go well!! xx

      Delete
  19. Your blog is absolutely lovely and your outfits are so amazing. You're truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ELLIE, it is a very beautiful post tho. ly lil fairy angel. literally cannot wait to meet you ..... x o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mona and eeeee I can't wait to meet you either!!!!!! ~~~~~

      Delete
  21. Good luck on your finals! I know they can be a real drag but you'll be so happy when you get your results. As for the tiaras/flower crown discussion, wear whatever you want! I wear sequins all the time despite it not being NYE or my birthday 363/365 days of the year. You should check out Zoe Schlacter on www.girlwiththeflower.com. Seriously fabulous flower crowns that she wears every day and sells on Etsy!

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! and yes I LOVE zoe's blog, I am a huge fan of her style! xx

      Delete
  22. Which film did you enjoy the most? Blue Velvet is so good! Porridge... Believe it or not, I've never tried it :x Flower crowns are forever!! Cool scrapbook btw :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blue velvet was really good!! fave has to be harold and maude, it's just amazing!! and thank you! x

      Delete
  23. I absolutely love this skirt! You have so many bright colourful pieces of clothing, it's amazing. I find it so difficult to steer away from constantly buying blue things. Your journal is absolutely beautiful also, great post 😊

    je-suisalice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡