London Fashion Week (Pre) - Fashion Utopias Launch and The Whitepepper

Friday 19 February 2016


It dawned on me this morning that this season is actually my 5th run of London Fashion week...about two and a half years of my life have been spent dressing up for the bi-annual event, and I plan to continue doing so in the years to come. You think it would start to get boring after such a long time, but there really is such an energy in the atmosphere that makes going almost addictive. I thrive off the last minute panic, the intricate outfits, the travelling here and there all over London, and of the vibrant mix of creative minds that all congregate at the main venue on Brewer Street in Soho. I won't pretend like I don't miss Somerset House - the days I spent wandering around it's cobbled square will always be fond memories as it was my first experience of the fashion industry. Brewer Street is growing on me, though...the area is fascinating, and I suppose it does have a very 'London' feel to it. 
Anyway, the LFW festivities kicked off for me on Wednesday with The Whitepepper, who invited me to see their new SS16 collection and choose an outfit to wear for fashion week. The ladies are all so lovely and we had a lovely long chat over tea and cake. 







I loved how pretty their showroom was - the clothes are even more irresistible when displayed so nicely! I am obsessed with their bags too, and it didn't take me long to find the pieces I wanted to wear for the weekend. Afterwards I went on a last-minute shopping trip to pick up some things before LFW really kicked off. I wore a Beyond Retro shirt and leopard coat, Rokit jeans, vintage white leopard jacket, Monki shoes and Freckle London beret.
On Thursday I met up with friends for coffee and holiday planning, then set off for Somerset House to attend the launch of the International Fashion Showcase: Fashion Utopias. The exhibition, located in the West wing, is open to the public during LFW, and features pioneering and up-and-coming design talents from all over the world, all creating work on the theme of 'Utopia'. The way each designer and country has interpreted the theme differently is fascinating, and everyone was so friendly and willing to discuss their inspirations. It's really worth a visit.





I loved everything on display but I found a favourites in Masha Reva's gorgeous illustrated jacket, Meüs's intricate beading and weaving by Sofía Contreras-Paredes (who kindly gave me a teeny pouch of beautiful Guatemalan worry people, after I noticed them decorating a wall and fell in love) and Maco Custodio's incredible shoes. He created an amazing collection of shoes, hand-sewn together using recycled crisp packets to represent the theme of dystopia, and the idea that there must be destruction before creation; everything works in cycles, and new beginnings cannot happen without the end of what came before. He brought a personal edge to the designs through the use of his late dog, Homer, acting as inspiration for shapes and styles, as for Custodio, his dog was to him a sort of Utopia. I adored this concept, and the emotion and passion behind the collection really shines through his work and makes it impossible to forget or overlook.
I also got to see one of my favourite designers work in the flesh - R.Shemiste, a Korean label based in Seoul, is the work of design duo Jiyeun Won and Jooho Lee, and takes it's name from the Korean pronunciation of 'alchemist'. Known for creative work with denim, elongated sleeves, caps with pierced rings and amazing Sukajan-style bomber jackets, R.Shemiste is everything I love in clothes all at once. They combine contemporary with traditional, and perfect the concept of casual but impeccably stylish.






I went for a very stripey look, wearing a top from H&M, trousers from Topshop, silk bomber jacket from Beyond Retro, vintage leopard jacket, vintage bag, striped Monki socks and Underground shoes. Nothing beats wearing huge platforms and feeling slightly less tiny.
Anyway, I have another post coming from today (Friday) at LFW...and I will have another from Sunday, Monday and Tuesday! Hope you have a great week and don't forget Beyond Retro's garage sale this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Two very cute outfits, I love the Whitepepper and this looked awesome <3

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Whitepepper! Your outfits are always so cute! Very jealous.
    xx Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those stripey trousers are killer! I miss Somerset house too, but I think it's really cool we've been able to experience both you know? So we can say, 'Oh well I started getting into fashion back when fashion week was still at Somerset house'. We've witnessed the turning point first hand! I saw the Utopia exhibition too! How cute are the worry dolls? Love everything xx

    LEXI LIKES

    ReplyDelete
  4. all of these fashion week posts/pictures are so so so cool. I'm so jealous you got spend a few days around the chaos of LFW!!!! also your outfits are waaayyyy too cool with all the patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡