Lately

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Hi everyone. I've never done a text post on here before, but I feel like a have a lot to say before summer ends and I have to get back into some kind of routine (instead of hanging out with friends and watching movies 24/7 like I have all summer)
Basically, I've recently felt like I've kind of lost control with this blog and what I want it to be. I started writing in November last year with the clear goal of being a 'fashion blogger'...however I wasn't really sure at the time exactly what that was, so for a few months ended up just sort of floating around the blogosphere posting odd little outfit posts every now and again. I then began to properly read other teen blogs, and realised it was that sort of thing I wanted to do, more of an online journal rather than just posting what I was wearing. I then began to post more inspiration with my outfit posts, show my art and collages, and experiment with film photography, and my blog kind of became what it is today. I met other bloggers, and started getting more attention on my page...and it felt like I had finally started to achieve my original goal.
However, I realised I had totally lost sight of what my 'goal' even was...I have been trying so hard to shape and squeeze this blog into a particular 'theme' and 'category' that I have neglected the actual content of my posts, and instead been focusing more on the layout of my blog or how many page views I get per day. This desperation to have the perfect blog and have constant approval of my work has had nothing but a negative impact on my attitude towards the things I enjoy, like blogging, and so I have come to the conclusion that I need to sort myself out once and for all before I continue being such a try-hard (and feeling like a fraud).
Not much is going to change if I'm honest...I'm still going to post outfits. They still probably won't be that great. I'm just going to try and post more of what I want to post, and not what I think other people want me to post. I changed my layout back to a very plain affair with this in mind; I want to post whatever I want to share with you guys without worrying that the pictures do not colour-match with my background or something. I want this blog to get bigger and better because people are enjoying what I do, whatever that is. I hope you guys understand, although I don't think you'll mind too much as I'm not really doing anything drastic. I'm just going to start posting more frequently and more calmly, without worrying about what sort of reaction what I post will get. I'm not going to care any less about the content - if anything, my content should improve, as I'm trying to focus more on what I post rather than when I post or how many people will comment on it.
I'm going back to school tomorrow, and hopefully will begin balancing blogging and homework much more effectively than I have done in the past. I also hope to play around with photography more and do some shoots with other bloggers, and improve the quality of my posts as well as hopefully doing more work in other corners of the internet (I contribute towards the wandering collective and purr mag, and want to start an etsy).
So yeah. I just had to get that off my chest, and get you all up to date with where I am.
Thanks for reading (and sticking around)
ellie xo

12 comments:

  1. I've just written a post similar to this, except a lot shorter, but I know exactly how you're feeling right now. You hate all your posts and feel like they're not as good as all the other blogs out there, but i'm glad you've realised that you don't have to fit in and can write whatever you like!

    Imogen <3
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Imogen! yeah it's just trying to fit in really wasn't working...especially when there is no need to even try! going to have a better blog in the future now though (hopefully)xx

      Delete
  2. It's good to stay true to your personal aims, love the blog, I'm sure whatever decision will make this blog awesomexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! I just need to re-focus I think :) xx

      Delete
  3. I get caught up in that whole thing with my blog a lot, too. I think too many bloggers (not yours!) get caught up trying to be identical to Style Rookie, if that makes sense? I love rookie, but its kinda lame to copy it. Like some people are like, This dress reminds me of a Hole song, here's a Freaks and Geeks moodboard, etc. Keep posting awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so accurate! I spend all my time trying to be a reincarnation of tavi, when I'd be better off just trying to be myself...thankyou <3 :)

      Delete
  4. This post pretty much sums up how I've been feeling about blogging just lately. I kept getting stressed out about not posting, which is daft really 'cause it's my blog and should post when i've got something to say, not just because other bloggers post more than me! >.< gah it's hard not to let stats etc take over but i'm hoping that when i go back to school, having a routine will help me figure out when i can blog.
    I really do hope you keep up with the outfit posts when you can though as you have fantabulous dress sense ^.^ Xx

    hello-you-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly...you end up feeling like you have a commitment to posting (which obviously you do to a certain extent...but not so that it rules your life) and thankyou, I will be posting as normal so hopefully things will improve <3 xx

      Delete
  5. This post articulates perfectly how I feel about my blog! I love reading your posts so whatever direction your blog takes will always be wonderful, also I'm sending you a letter this week, sorry for taking SO LONG to reply xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much maija! <3 so lovely to hear & yay I can't wait! xxxxx

      Delete
  6. i had these exact thoughts sort of february - april time, it demotivated me to blog for a while but when i started doing "me" i felt so much more at ease and my blog has gotten way better since (in my opinion anyway) haha good luck!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Hollie...your blog has always been absolutely perfect hehe <3 going to be posting again shortly so fingers crossed eh? :)xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡