even artichokes have hearts

Tuesday 22 October 2013
































Hello again...I seem to actually be posting quite often now (compared to my old once-a-month habits) which is kind of crazy considering the amount of work I currently am supposed to be doing.I'm in my final year of compulsory schooling and so have to take a set of exams called GCSEs, that will basically determine what courses I can do at college, and therefore what I do at university. It's pretty full on, and I'm currently preparing for my mock exams in November which will give me my predicted grades, which are used for applying to colleges. I guess I'm lucky as I'm not one of those people that gets phased by exams - if anything, I'm worryingly relaxed about the whole thing. But it's still pretty scary to be actually doing them...I miss the old days when nothing really mattered and school was just a way to pass the time, instead of a ticket to your future career.
I think the worst thing at the moment is the way the government have decided to essentially make it impossible for us to get good grades, just so that they can in turn make the exams easier next year, get great results, and claim that they 'saved the education system', even though it was them that caused it to need saving in the first place. I'm not hugely into politics, but it seems a little unfair to use exams that determine our futures purely as a statistic to make your party's campaign look good at election time.

 



























Anyway, on a slightly less whiney note, I met up with a few fab girls on Saturday evening to plan out some exciting things that we're going to try and do over the next few months. I can't really say exactly what we're going to be doing, but I can say that our plans are sounding incredibly awesome and you guys should watch this space (you'll be the first to know when we begin). We had a lovely time being all sophisticated and creative, and finished the night off with some delicious pizza, which as you probably know, is the best way to end a Saturday night. I wore my Levi shorts from Rokit and white belt from Beyond Retro, combined with this super 70's gem of a shirt that I picked up for £9 from Absolute Vintage in brick lane. It's so silky, and colour-wise matched the Beatles badge that I used to hold the collar in place.
I also watched the film Amelie on Friday, and was so taken with it's whimsical simplicity that I absolutely have to share it with you all. It is a romantic comedy directed by Jean-Pierre Juenet, about the life of the young woman Amelie Poulain. It follows the ups and downs of her struggles to find happiness for herself, whilst also bringing it to everyone that she meets along the way. Not only is the plot so quaint and cheerful, whilst still upholding a gritty, dark undertone, but the cinematography is absolutely to die for. Each frame is drenched in soft, yellowy vignettes, with not a second wasted on pointless scenes or unnecessary characters. Everything has been thought out and planned, producing a complete masterpiece of a film.







































































 
At one point in the movie, Amelie finds the photo album of another whimsical soul, who happens to be a collector of old photo booth pictures. The book is filled with torn and tattered scraps of the images that people had decided weren't good enough, and so had ripped up and discarded on the floor by the booth. I love the concept of this...the idea that he reconstructed these broken images could be interpreted in so many different ways, and has made me want to experiment with similar things in art.
 









































































 
I am particularly understanding of the protagonist's plight at the point where she imagines seeing her death related on the news channel, in the same fashion as Lady Diana's. It is at parts like these, with Amelie clutching a packet of biscuits and sobbing into a cushion, that the film really hits home and becomes a relatable message instead of just a piece of art. Her character is so understated and simple, and it is because of this that the story's moral is so clearly communicated through the screen.









































































It's such a lovely movie...the costumes and characters alone are a work of art, and combined with the fantastic, quirky storyline, it's definitely made it's way onto my top ten list (possibly even top three). I hope you are all having a good week, I should be back as soon as possible with some better photographs.

ellie xo

25 comments:

  1. so inspiring...lovely movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amelie is one of my favourite films, tatou is just incredible and french cinema is seriously amazing and i find a lot more artistic compared to most american and british cinema.love your outfit too, your hair is so pretty <3
    The Frill Seeker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! and yeah I totally agree. French cinema is more of an appreciation of the ability to make films, whereas british and American movies seem to be more about making money...like a business, whereas films like Amelie are more like artwork. <3

      Delete
  3. You're winged eyeliner looks amazing. I can never get mine to be thick but not clumpy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use a felt pen liner...it's the best invention ever!

      Delete
  4. to a lesser extent, i know how you feel. i'm going into high school, and in america we have to take these tests for private schools called the ssat's. i'm working my ass off doing prep for that (though i know it cannot be nearly as stressful as the gsce's must be!

    anyways, love that outfit! those shorts are adorable

    liza teenagefeline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! And They're probably about the same...good luck!

      Delete
  5. You are so cute! I love how you rock vintage, & your makeup is perfect<3

    xo elizabeth joy
    www.imwildcat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That movie looks great... I'll have to watch it. Your outfit is lovely and I really enjoyed the post. I'm doing collage-application tests, too, and although (like you) I'm not particularly stressed, it's weird to think that the results could end up changing our whole lives. Anyway, I love your blog and your style... I can't believe that it took me so long to start reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much...and yeah I think it's the idea of them that is scarier than the actual tests! Good luck with yours x

      Delete
  7. I just watched this film the other day, and I feel IN LOVE!! <3 Also, I rlly love your polka dot blouse~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same I'm really affected by it! :) thankyou x

      Delete
  8. You look so gorgeous Ellie, and the stills from that film look so cool, so Indie and stylised and ughh, I love films like that, especially Baz Luhrman's films. Good luck with your exams, I'm a year below you but know exactly how you feel, so much work!
    Imogen <3
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! Yeah it's such a great movie x

      Delete
  9. I know exactly what you mean about the GCSEs! Anybody who started a GCSE in 2012 was suddenly told 'actually hang on people are doing well in school so we're going to make it all impossible for you'. My grades went down so much, I wasn't at all prepared. I just don't think the government should have so little care for something as important as education. Anyway, lovely post xx
    www.rollerskag.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so unfair! You're so right-they shouldn't have the ability to control such a big part of our lives and futures! <3

      Delete
  10. I always find myself posting when I should be doing other things...ie studying.

    -Laura
    www.thefoxtrails.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! That's exactly what I'm doing now! X

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures and a great outfit. The movie is so sweet.
    Kisses
    Tabea

    http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  12. you aren't the only one who is worryingly relaxed about important things ellie! also i really agree with your little political rant. i have the dvd of amelie somewhere in my room. i should probably watch it since your review makes me want to.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Amelie!!! The storyline is great and it's aesthetically pleasing as well!! and the soundtrack! I am obsessed. love your outfit also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are such great shorts, you pull them off so well! I'm new to your blog, but have you ever done a room tour? I'd love to see more of your place!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡