you have never been in love until you have seen the dawn rise behind the home for the blind

Saturday 2 November 2013

 
So I turned 16 on Friday. Sixteen. That sounds big. It's like a kind of big sweater that I just don't quite fit into yet. I was actually incredibly apprehensive about the whole thing...however I had such an amazing time that I soon forgot completely about the number and just enjoyed being the centre of attention for a day. I took loads of photos over Halloween and my birthday however they're all quite different and there's too many for one post, so I'm going to kind of group them into several separate posts over this week. These photographs are from our trip to London Zoo...I know, why the hell would you go to a zoo on your birthday?! It's a bit weird I know, but I wanted to spend the day being all nostalgic before meeting up with the family and the zoo just seemed like a good idea.
 



I wore my shoes from Rokit, skirt from Beyond Retro, shirt from Blitz and socks and jumper (a present from my parents) from Urban Outfitters. I also decided to live the blogging life and lug five cameras around with me all day...because that's totally normal right?
 
These are all from the butterfly house, which is basically an enclosed tunnel that is really humid and full of butterflies flying around. It's really humid and so my camera lens kept steaming up, hence the slightly dreamy quality to these pictures. I apologise for the plant spam.
 





























I've always been really into animal protection and London Zoo fully incorporates the issue into their work. As much as being a tourist attraction, the zoo is famous for it's conservation work and tries hard to enlighten visitors about the plight of the animals on show and their environment. They also encourage them to try and do their part to help fight the battle against extinction and global warming, by either donating money, sponsoring an animal, or just cutting co2 emissions. The idea of so many animals just simply ceasing to exist horrifies me, and so it's lovely to see others trying to do something about it. It also brings the zoo up to date - with such rapidly increasing availability to mass media, we no longer need zoos in our modern society to be able to learn about and see animals from other countries. We could quite easily just watch 'blue planet', instead of trekking all the way to the aquarium on the southbank to see a sting ray or clown fish. However, London Zoo have adapted to become an information and conservation centre, so that instead of being merely a showcase of exotic animals, they are a place where on-going work is helping to preserve biodiversity for the years and generations to come.
Anyway, I apologise for the quick post...I am getting my disposables from Halloween and my birthday developed in the next few days, and so better posts are on the way (I know I say this every time).
Have a lovely week,
ellie xo


30 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your outfit! It looked like you had a really nice day <333
    - beth xo

    http://peachsquashsunday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you had a good birthday! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I'm so happy you had a good birthday! 16 is a scary age but it's also an awesome one, I'm 18 next month and I'm seriously terrified eeeek! Love your outfit as always <3

    http://britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much cara! god that must be even scarier than 16...im sure you'll love it though!

      Delete
  4. Nice choice of song lyric for the title.
    Happy birthday by the way, even though I am late! 16 isn't too bad, just enjoy being young enough to have some responsibility but not all so you can still have fun without worrying about the consequences. (Life's too short to worry about that anyway).
    Thanks for your help on my blog post
    xxxx

    http://mabelsmind.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thankyou! and no worries, you're welcome xx

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday!
    Your outfit is snazzy and those shoes have intoxicated me with highly concentrated fumes of jealousy :-)
    Everything looks so good, especially the colours; the blue of the tank you're in front of and the green of the tree on top and the brown of the floor and then your outfit and your hair...everything looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 11th photo is so beautiful! They all are, but that one in particular is amazing. You should put them on tumblr :) Sounds like an awesome birthday - I adore the zoo xx

    http://rollerskag.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! I might actually. I'll put them on the wandering x

      Delete
    2. Would you mind if I included that pic in a compilation/inspiration type blog post? With a link and credit, of course.
      xx

      Delete
    3. Of course, please do! :D

      Delete
  7. Wow you have the same birthday as me! I turned 15 so, not as monumental...but good to know we both had good days. I'm feeling kind of creepily linked to you, through the forces of the universe or something...weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe we are soul twins! Pleased you had a good day too! X

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had a good birthday :) I love your outfit and the background of those photos looks really cool. I love the butterfly house at London zoo! I went there on a photography trip with my school last November so I have soooo many photos of all the animals etc xoxo

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look really nice for your birthday :) It's a good time to be sixteen. Also, the zoo is ALWAYS a good idea, and the London Zoo sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a lovely birthday! Absolutely in love with your jumper and shirt, and those socks all together looks so pretty! (also still in lurrrvee with your granny glasses)
    Imogen <3
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look amazing!! i LOVE your shoes and happy birthday! I'm not sixteen until late February but I'm still sort of dreading it already haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm already 21 and I still feel like a teenager. This is why I refer to myself as being twenteenone. I guess, it's just that 21 seems so old when you're younger but actually it isn't really. Not at all. Believe me, you will probably still have the feeling of being younger at heart than your age conveys when you're fucking 80 or something. And also, I love the idea of going to the zoo. I rediscovered it for me a couple of months ago and really like going again now. :D (Only zoo's where I know, they care about the animals though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! Twenteenone is a great idea...and I'm sure I won't grow up until I'm like 90, If ever! X

      Delete
  13. Thankyou! Yeah I was a bit apprehensive but now I've realised age is just a number...you're only as old as you think you are!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such a great look! Your hair is also incredibly gorgeous, my goodness!
    Would you like to follow each other? I just followed you and can't wait to see your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing outfit!
    www.pindaakaaas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡